Welcome

Welcome to my blog; an occasional update to things happening in my life.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Potato Heaven

I know that vegetable gardening is becoming popular (even trendy) these days, but rest assured, I have been way ahead of the curve on this one. I think I have gardened all my life. My mother used to plant flowers wherever we lived. Even if we were in a basement suite or apartment, she found a patch of earth to plant.

It wasn't until I was in my teens that my family owned their own home with room enough for a vegetable garden. Any place I have lived since has included space for agriculture.

Coming from a (partly) eastern European background, the potato has long been the Official Family Vegetable. I was taught by my father to simply dig a hole, throw in a couple of potatoes, cover them up and wait. That is traditionally the way I have gardened potatoes ever since. Until this year.

For 2010 I ordered six varieties of seed potatoes from Eagle Creek Farms in Bowden, AB www.seedpotatoes.ca -- two early (Caribe and Warba), two mid-season (Alaska Sweetheart and Yukon Gold) and two late (Green Mountain and French Fingerling).

The instructions that came with the planting potatoes suggested they be planted in rows. Gasp!! I've never done that before. But, what the heck -- you're never too late to learn.
So, friends, this year my potatoes are planted in six neat rows in my garden, all labeled and ready for this darned spring weather to figure itself out.

I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. very cool Donna.... potatoes were an important part of my diet growing up also (my mother being German and all) so boiled potatoes with pickled herring and german potatoe salad (that I have perfected with a few extra ingredients) were always a treat. good luck !
    Penny

    ReplyDelete