Welcome

Welcome to my blog; an occasional update to things happening in my life.

Friday, April 30, 2010

My (Alaska) Sweethearts

They're up!  My potatoes have started to poke their leafy heads through the ground.  Both the Alaska Sweethearts and the French Fingerlings have won the prize for Most Enthusiastic Potato Variety.  I've been checking them regularly and was rewarded yesterday with sprout sightings.

The weather has been on the cool side here, but my onions and peas have also sprouted.  I won't plant my warmer season veggies (beans, cukes, tomatoes) until it feels quite a bit warmer, probably in middle to late May.

Other reports from the garden:  Red Currants have finished flowering and are LOADED with berries.  Last year my mother-in-law was visiting when they were ready to harvest and she cheerfully picked them for me.  Hmmm....wonder if she'll come back again this year......

The Raspberries, Black Currants, Strawberries, Blueberries and Plums are all flowering now.  Warmer weather will hopefully bring some bees and I will get good crops from these as well. 

My thornless blackberries, alas, succumbed to my over-enthusiastic pruning in the spring.  I forgot that they fruit on old wood and cut them right back to the ground.  Probably won't get anything from them this season.

I have one fruit-bearing plant that continues to confound me with non-blooming behaviour.  But that's a subject of another post.  Until then......

No comments:

Post a Comment